Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Jeep Jeep Jeep

We've been toying with the idea of getting a golf cart to ride within our gated community. The trouble with golf carts is that the gas ones have no torque to climb the hills, the electric ones can't go far enough to keep me from getting range anxiety, you can't really do much with them, they cost a lot, and they aren't particularly useful but for very short trips.

So we explored other toy options. Kawasaki Mules of the four seat variety cost more than a new Hyundai and still can't get us legally past the gates.

That brings us to Jeeps. I have wanted one since I was 3-4. The dream is a WWII Willys MB or a Korean War M38. We looked and looked and looked and finally drove one. Turns out it was not what we need. Neat, but about as useful as a golf cart for what we need. It was heartbreaking and relieving at the same time.

That experience brought us(thankfully) to where we are now, a 15 year old Jeep. It's comfy, but still as manly and rugged as a Jeep should be. And it is a 5 speed manual, which means Cristina will be learning how. While such a feat is almost as challenging as walking on water or achieving cold fusion, I have a lot of faith in her!

Some evenings, we put Chris'child seat in the back and putt putt around the neighborhood. He usually
goes to sleep in the car, but in the Jeep, he gets wide-eyed and interested. He really is a nature boy.

Anyway, being 15 years old, I've had to do a lot of work on it the last two
weeks to get it up to snuff and reliable. I do most/all of the maintenance on our other cars and it's much more fun working on the toy than your daily driver. Hope to learn a lot!


"You are how old and can't drive a stick?"


"I'm going to start learning at 11 weeks."
"Pedal extensions might be helpful dad.  I'm only 25 inches tall."

No comments:

Post a Comment